After meeting Modi, Rubio says India has ‘committed’ to buy goods worth $500 billion from US in 5 years
New Delhi, May 24: India has “committed” to purchasing USD 500 billion in US goods over the next five years, focusing on energy, technology and agriculture, American Secretary of State Marco Rubio said hours after his meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi here.
The statement came after Rubio, during his meeting with Modi last evening, pushed for increased exports of US energy products to India.
During the meeting, Rubio said the US energy products had the potential to diversify India’s energy supply.
Hours later, he said in a social media post: “Huge thanks to @USAmbIndia Sergio Gor and our American diplomats for their efforts. Because of their great work, India has committed to purchasing USD 500 billion in U.S. goods over the next five years focusing on energy, technology, and agriculture. They’re doing terrific work on behalf of President Trump and the American people!”
The American push for increased exports of energy products to India comes continued disruption in supplies of such commodities from the Gulf and West Asian region because of the ongoing tensions between the US and Iran, which has resulted in the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
The energy pitch comes as the US, which took control of Venezuela’s oil industry following the capture of former President Nicolas Maduro last year, appears eager to sell the Venezuelan oil which had been barred by America due to its sanctions spanning several years. (BVI)
Earlier, US Ambassador Sergoi Gor tweeted, “We had a productive discussion on ways to deepen US-India cooperation across security, trade, and critical technologies… India is a vital partner to the United States.”
In his post on X, Modi said, “We discussed sustained progress in the India-US Comprehensive Global Strategic Partnership and issues related to regional and global peace and security.”